Experience Based Early Project Estimation
Ensuring a sound basis for your Business Case!
What is an Experienced Based Estimate?
Our independent consultants will use objective, quantitative ISO/IEC standardized methods to functionally size your project and Industry productivity and cost data to develop project estimates of the projected effort, costs and duration to deliver the software functionality required.
What are the business benefits?
These estimates will provide you with a level of confidence that the cost and duration estimates for your software project align with industry experience.The estimates are derived independently and ensure that your business case is based on sound reasoning and historical data rather than guesswork.
How much will it cost?
The total cost of a the functional sizing and resource estimate report is:
- $5,599 - 1small project
- $8,999 - medium project
- $12,999- large project
How is it developed?
How long will it take?
From 2 to 5 days
What lead time is required?
We endeavor to fit within your time frames but would prefer at least two weeks’ notice to ensure our resourcing
What are the pre-requisites?
- Documented Business Requirement and ideally Functional Requirements for the required software.
- Lists of major Data Entities and Objects
- Access to interview personnel knowledgeable in the functionality of the planned project and the environments for the project’s proposed solution
How much of my time will be required?
- Between 1 and 3 days depending on the size of the project and the quality of the documentation provided to us.
When is the best time to do it?
As soon as the Business Requirements are documented and prior to making any project decisions as to how the software should be acquired.
What is the method used to develop the estimate?
- ISO/IEC 20296 Functional Size Measurement Methodology – size estimates are performed by Internationally certified consultants.
- Industry Data – sourced from the International Software Benchmarking Groups data
What will I get (deliverables)?
What is the delivered outcome?
- A preliminary Functional Model which documents the assumptions of project size used in the estimate
- A Project Estimate report detailing the project’s likely effort, cost and schedule along with an indication in the confidence of these estimates
- Additional reports may also be provided
How do I maximise the estimates value and ongoing use
The above information is a critical input to the ongoing management of the project. It may assist in:
- Project planning
- Validation of the requirements specification for completeness
- Selection of solutions.
1Typically: Small Projects - single platform, <20 Use Cases, <15 Data Entities, Medium projects – mid-range, <35 Use Cases, <25 Data Entities, Large Projects – multi-platform < 50 Use Cases, <50 Data Entities. Super large Projects and COTs package implementations need to be quoted separately.
ABOUT TOTAL METRICS
Total Metrics is recognized as a world leader in its knowledge and experience in metrics based project governance – our consultants:
- Represent Australia on the ISO/IEC, and ISBSG standards for Size Measurement and Benchmarking
- Were developers and reviewers of the IFPUG and COSMIC size measurement standards
- Co-authors of the ISBSG Workbook for Software Project Estimation
- Are officially certified in the Investment Management Standard, IFPUG Functional Size Measurement, COSMIC Size Measurement and Accredited Measurement Specialists to gold level
- Have over 20 years Software Development and Metrics experience
- Have been providing software estimates for large corporates and state and federal government projects worldwide since 1994
- Total Metrics is on the preferred supplier list for Software Metrics and Estimation for the Victorian, NSW and Qld Government IT Panels
Don’t risk another project budget blow-out
Contact us now at: firstname.lastname@example.org